What To Do When Your Child Gets Sick
Although we have heard over and over again that vaccine free children rarely get sick and when they do they get over it quickly, the fact remains that most children, even vaccine free children, do get sick, and THAT’S OKAY. But what, exactly, is happening when a child is sick?
A sick child is a child who is expressing outward symptoms that tells you, the parent, that the child has switched gears to now fight an infection of some sort. Instead of panicking, you will want to stay calm and collected and tend to your child, and you can do that when you understand and realize that your child’s body is behaving and acting in a way that is designed to destroy the infection and bring your child back to full function.
Your child may produce a fever and it is critical that you understand that the fever plays a very important role in your child’s ability to fight an infection, and that artificially lowering the fever lowers your child’s defense system. You want that fever! Even a high fever can be beneficial and required to destroy an infection, which can mean 104, 105 or even 106 degrees.
Make sure your child stays well hydrated, though your child may not want to eat or eat very little. That’s okay too. Digestion requires energy but so does fighting an infection. Not eating may be required for a full immune response. In other words, do not force your child to eat if food is not desired.
Tylenol should never be used to lower a fever because it depletes the master detoxification agent, glutathione. In fact, all artificial fever reducers should be avoided. If you feel the fever is just too high or the child cannot handle the fever, a warm bath could be a good idea, or some cool damp clothes on the forehead. For the most part though, fevers should run their course because they activate the killer cells needed to destroy the invading pathogens; whereas lowering the fever will stop this process and prolong the illness.
When should you go to the hospital and/or call your primary care doctor? If your child becomes lethargic or won’t drink liquids it’s important to get immediate medical assistance. If your child spikes a high fever over a very short amount of time, get in touch with your doctor as soon as possible.
There is an EXCELLENT book available that every parent will want to own, and it is called: The Unvaccinated Child: A Treatment Guide for Parents and Caregivers.
The Unvaccinated Child reviews the history of germs and how a child’s terrain is a better indicator of health or disease. The naturopathic foundations of health familiarize parents with the necessary steps to create long-term health. The authors go through each childhood illness children are commonly vaccinated for and offer naturopathic treatments such as herbs, supplements, essential oils, homeopathy, hydrotherapy, nutrition, and physical medicine as tools to work through each illness. The book includes a compendium of naturopathic protocols with a complete how-to section, resources and references to arm readers with the means to effectively nurture children back to health.
GET IT HERE: https://amzn.to/2CQrLVF
When your child is ill, what you actually want to do is to encourage THE PROCESS, not fight it. Your child’s body has the understanding of how to fight and destroy the infection, when given the right conditions. The goal of ensuring a healthy diet packed with nutrition every day along with all other strategies mentioned previously is to help ensure that your child will have adequate nutrient stores to take on the pathogens. So, first and foremost, proper diet, daily supplements, etc. are your first line of defense for a child who becomes ill. That said, there are many things you can do to help your child recover more quickly once ill.
Natural Remedies & Therapies
Having an alternative doctor at your disposal is important so try to find one as soon as you know you are pregnant. This could be a Naturopathic Doctor, an Integrative Medical Doctor, a Traditional Chinese Medicine doctor, a Homeopath, a Chiropractor, and/or an Acupuncturist. This way if you have any questions, your first line of defense is a holistic doctor on your side, and not the urgent care or emergency room, should you have questions or concerns.
Now, with that said, here are some remedies and actions to consider when your child is ill:
- Let the fever run its course
- Use cool cloths on the forehead if needed
- Give sips of cold water
- Massage along the either side of the spine to loosen up misalignments, or take your child to see a trusted chiropractor.
- Avoid Tylenol or other fever medications
- If your child is talking, walking, making eye contact and drinking fluids, all is good.
- If your child becomes lethargic and won’t drink fluids, contact a medical professional immediately.
- Rest is essential to recovery
- Ensure your child is able to rest comfortably without distraction
- Fluids are important
- Make sure your child stays hydrated
- Fruits are hydrating
- Do not force food
- Digestion uses energy, energy that could be used to fight the infection
- Give easy to digest foods, like fresh fruits (not canned – too much sugar)
- Avoid dairy, meat and grains because they are difficult to digest
- Sugar should be avoided entirely as sugar destroys immune function
- Vitamins A, C & D are very important, as is zinc.
- Herbal Teas & tonics
- Burdock root
- Liver support
- Immune support
- Detox support
- There are many homeopathic remedies available at health food stores that help shorten the duration of the illness.
- Essential oils
- High quality essential oils have powerful healing abilities.
- Learn how to use them and have them on hand before you need them.
There are numerous, numerous safe and effective natural remedies you can use to help your child overcome an illness that naturally help the immune system do its job. This is diametrically opposite of conventional medicine, which uses synthetic drugs to only treat symptoms or potentially toxic antibiotics that can have side-effects. If you work with a conventional pediatrician not only is your pediatrician likely to demand that vaccines be given to your child, the pediatrician will not understand or recognize the power of natural treatments. This is why firing your pediatrician might be a good idea, but if you must have a pediatrician, we have some tips for you.
How To Say “No Vaccines” To Your Pediatrician
Well baby visits to a pediatrician is for the primary purpose of scaring parents into vaccinating their child. Pediatricians can receive significant financial bonuses when a majority of their patients are fully vaccinated on the CDC schedule and so they will say anything to scare a parent into vaccinating – a common one is that your child will die without vaccines. Although this is a lie, it is not always easy for a parent to refute doctors who lie in order to force compliance, usually with hostile and aggressive energy to boot.
The best way to handle bully energy – from anyone – is to use the “broken record technique.” This technique is when you say the same thing over and over and over again, unmoved by whatever new argument someone brings up. YOUR ARGUMENT is enough for YOUR decision. You do not need to address other arguments. This is a critical understanding when dealing with hostile energy: you be the broken record. The first thing though is that you need an argument to use. Here are two to consider:
1) You have read the manufacturer vaccine inserts, you have reviewed potential adverse reactions, and you have decided that you will not risk your child’s current health status with the potential of harm, damage or death as stated on the vaccine inserts. Of course, you do actually need to review some vaccine inserts – it is very important you do this.
So when the pediatrician then says “Well, that risk is very low,” you say, “It is not low enough for my child – I will not take the risk of damaging my child.” And then, you be the broken record when the pediatrician brings up the many other reasons to vaccinate (child will die, must protect the herd, etc., etc.). It is at this point that you must stand firm and be the BROKEN RECORD:
“I will not risk my child’s life with a vaccine that can cause that kind of damage to children.”
2) You have talked with numerous parents who have vaccine injured, vaccine damaged and/or vaccine killed children and you are unwilling to risk a similar fate with your child. In this instance, although reviewing vaccine injury and death stories is a very good idea, what you really want to do is communicate with parents who have experienced vaccine injury and death. The reason is because then instead of saying you “read it online” you can truly say, and convincingly say, you “talked with” these parents. You can find these parents in the Stop Mandatory Vaccination Facebook Group and you can also join our community and begin the discussion (or find one that is already active).
The pediatrician will give all kinds of reasons to vaccinate, and you will state over and over something along the lines of: “I have talked to too many parents who witnessed their children be damaged or killed by vaccination to allow my child to get vaccines.” Or any variation of that.
Here are a few others:
- “Thank you for the information, but we aren’t going to be vaccinating today.”
- “I appreciate your concern, but we won’t be vaccinating today.”
- “We won’t be vaccinating today but I am happy to take some material to read over when I get home.”
Do not get into a scientific discussion with the doctor unless you are very well-equipped to handle that conversation or your doctor expresses genuine interest in information you may have regarding vaccine risks.
Being a broken record and not deviating into other arguments is the way to handle this – you must be resolute and you must believe that the argument you are delivering is plenty argument for your decision, and you will not be moved.
VERY IMPORTANT: Do not give your pediatrician If/Then statements. “If you can prove to me vaccines are safe, I will consider it.” These weaken your argument and make it sound like you are unsure of your decision. In fact, you are not there to argue with your pediatrician about your decision. You are simply letting your pediatrician know your decision, you have a reason, and you will not be moved by anything the pediatrician says to you.
Of course, once you have made it clear that you will not be allowing toxic vaccines to be injected into your child the pediatrician may “fire” you, and that’s okay.
The Vaccine Refusal Form
Sometimes pediatricians demand that parents sign a vaccine refusal form. If the form is not signed, the family may be kicked out of the practice. Most of these forms “shift liability” from the doctor to the patient with something along the lines of: parent is knowingly endangering the child by not vaccinating. One way to handle this form is to simply cross out and modify any language that states you are “knowingly” endangering your child.
Carefully read the entire form and make the changes you deem fit so that:
1) You are signing a form that only states you are refusing vaccines, and
2) There is no language on that form (because you crossed it out and initialed it) that states you are endangering your child.
Your other option is to simply not sign it. But if you need that doctor, modifying it is probably a better option.
How often to go if not vaccinating
Some parents never go to a pediatrician, so there’s that. If you do decide to go just be sure you are solid in your stance to not vaccinate if in fact you do not want to vaccinate because pediatricians and their nurses are experts at bullying. Pediatricians receive bonuses for vaccine compliance so expect bully energy if you refuse. Your other option is to find a vaccine free doctor.
Alternative Doctor Types
There are many types of doctors who are qualified to see children, including: Integrative Medical Doctor (MD), Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO), Naturopathic Doctor (ND), Licensed Acupuncturist (LAc), Chiropractor (DC) and Homeopath (unlicensed). Not all alternative doctors are against vaccines, mind you, but many are. The point is, do not limit your search to only pediatricians when you are searching for a vaccine free doctor. I give an in-depth explanation of the different kinds of doctors in my book, The Beginner’s Guide to Natural Living.
How To Find A Vaccine Free Doctor
If you are on an insurance plan, are low income and your pediatrician fired you, you might be able to see a general medicine MD or DO within your insurance plan. That would be your first action step. Many alternative doctors are cash only, but not all. With that in mind, here are some ways to find a vaccine free doctor:
1) Do a Google search using doctor modality plus city or state: “naturopathic doctor Seattle”, “integrative medical doctor Seattle”, “homeopath Iowa”, “chiropractor Eugene” and so on. Like I said, not all doctors are vaccine free, so you will want to look at their websites and see what they say and narrow your list to then call and ask questions. Chiropractors, Acupuncturists and Homeopaths are not allowed to give vaccinations, but in some states, Naturopathic Doctors are allowed to. With this in mind, I have found that NDs who graduated from NCNM are more likely to not support vaccination, so take a look at their bio to see the schooling. Naturopathic Doctors who identify as “Vitalistic” do not vaccinate and you can find them at www.naturopathicmedicineinstitute.org
2) Look at the association websites for alternative doctors. You might google “integrative medical doctor association” or “acupuncturist association Oregon” or “naturopathic association Texas” for example, and virtually all associations have member directories. Members can often be located by zip code search.
3) You can ask for a referral in my Stop Mandatory Vaccination Facebook Group. Keep in mind that many people are concerned about the safety and well being of doctors, so you may want to ask to be private messaged with referrals.
4) Here are some website resources to review that offer vaccine free or vaccine friendly doctor lists:
Vaccines are destroying our children at an unprecedented rate (Autism alone is 1 in 36) and it behooves us to find educated doctors who will not bully or otherwise advocate that parents must vaccinate their children.
Questions? Join my email list & follow me!